After decades of effort to strengthen the federal government’s cyber defenses, are we really more secure? The federal government operates a patchwork of IT systems across multiple agencies, many of which are decades old, costly to maintain and contain known vulnerabilities. The president recently signed an executive order which highlighted the importance of strengthening the security of federal networks and outlined the new administration’s approach to dealing with these challenges. The order echoes Congressional efforts to provide agencies with the budget, authority, and legislative mandate to access cutting-edge technologies and adopt shared services to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and improve security.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) will host a policy event to discuss how Congress and the Administration can strengthen the federal government’s cyber defenses. The event will feature Rep. Will Hurd, Assistant Secretary for the Office of Cybersecurity and Communications, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Jeanette Manfra, and Christian Marrone, Senior Vice President of CSRA, among others. Won’t you join us?
- EVENT: Strengthening the Federal Government’s Cyber Defenses
- DATE: Friday, September 29, 2017, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- LOCATION: CSIS, 1616 Rhode Island Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20036 - 1st Floor Auditorium
- 2:00 PM - Welcome – James A. Lewis, Senior Vice President, CSIS
- 2:05 PM - Keynote: The Administration’s Approach to Federal Government Cybersecurity, with Jeanette Manfra, Assistant Secretary, Office of Cybersecurity and Communications, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- 2:35 PM - Keynote: How Congress Can Work with the Administration to Modernize and Secure Federal Government Networks, with Representative Will Hurd (R- Texas)
- 3:05 PM - Panel Discussion: New Approaches to Securing Government Networks, with Karen Evans, Partner, KE&T Partners and Co-Chair, CSIS Cyber Policy Task Force; Dr. Phyllis Schneck, Former Deputy Undersecretary of NPPD; and Christian Marrone, Senior Vice President, External Relations and Chief of Staff, CSRA
- 4:00 PM - End